2018 Energy and Environment Student Scholarship Winners Announced
The Office of Energy and Environment is pleased to announce the recipients of the 2017-2018 Energy and Environment Scholarships, offered to undergraduate students interested in studying or pursuing a career in energy, the environment or sustainability.
- Mary Boltri is a student in environmental science. She is active in the Gray Aquatic Physiology Research Lab, treasurer of Engineers for a Sustainable World and volunteers at the NNEMAP Food Pantry. She has also worked at the Ohio Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Division of Air Pollution Control.
- Sarah Davis is a student in both the city and regional planning and environment, economy, development and sustainability majors. She is a part of the University Honors Program and serves as an Ambassador to the School of Architecture. She has led a Buck-I-SERV trip focused on sustainability and studied abroad in Copenhagen, Hamburg, Berlin and Amsterdam in 2016.
- Mike Fackler is an environment, economy, development and sustainability major. He is the founder of Composted Technologies where he created a new concept for organic waste disposal. He led the Zero Waste team at PaddleFest in 2016 and served as the Zero Waste Program Coordinator for the Loveland City School District for two years.
- Maria Fredericks is an environmental policy and decision-making major. She analyzes news articles to explore risk perceptions and community responses associated with rail transport as an undergraduate assistant researcher and created a student organization dedicated to fossil fuel divestment and renewable energy reinvestment.
- Alyssa Gordon is a student in sustainable plant systems. She is a teaching assistant for Bring the Farm to You and serves as a student coordinator and farm manager for the Ohio State Student Farm. In the past, she was an AmeriCorps VISTA summer associate and a sustainability intern for the Ohio Department of Rehabilitations and Corrections.
- Matthew Griffin is a student in environment, economy, development and sustainability. He was a sustainability intern for Ohio State Athletics, Business and Finance, and Business Advancement and spent four weeks in Nicaragua teaching math and English with Project Nicaragua. He currently serves as the Vice President of membership for Net Impact.
- Hallie Klieman is a student in operations management. She was a global energy sourcing intern for Owens Corning and serves on the executive board of Best Food Forward. Her dedication to sustainability shines through her participation in the energy and sustainability cluster for the Fisher Industry Cluster Program and summer research in sustainability through STEP.
- Dan Mueller is a mechanical engineering student. He is involved in the SUSTAINS Learning Community, Best Food Forward, and Engineers without Borders.
- Meredith Oglesby is an agricultural communication major. She is currently a student intern for the Ohio AgriBusiness Association. In the past, she has served as the Ohio FFA State Vice President, volunteered at the Highland Country Homeless Shelter, and educated Ohio State fairgoers on environmental sustainability and agriculture as a part of the Junior Fair Board.
- Lauren Trapani is an environment, economy, development and sustainability major. She was a recipient of the Arborjet scholarship to preserve forests in 2016 and completed a research project on sustainable tourism in the El Peten region of Guatemala. In addition to her involvement with Net Impact, she participated in a study abroad focused on sustainable development.